Monday, March 24, 2014

Olde Edinburgh... Oh how I miss you

We arrived in Edinburgh, Scotland by train from London, GB on March 4th, 2014.  What a beautiful city!  After we checked into our hotel the first thing we did is head for "The Royal Mile" on foot.  My goal was to find the tartan plaid for clan McLallen from my late mother's side of the family.  My brother and I have been curious for years as to the look of the family plaid, and until this day were unable to locate the pattern.  The trip wasn't without some side tracks.  We got lost navigating the winding streets and courts and closes.  We ran across an older (ninetyish) couple out for a stroll and asked for directions. Twenty minutes later, after a climb up a long flight of ancient stone stairs that went from one street to another, we got some great advice from the older gentleman.  He looked me straight in the eye and says "mind your tongue now, use it!" If that was lost in translation, he meant that if we're lost again, ask again.  I was just besotted with the way he phrased it and the serious look on his face when he shared. so off we went in search of the plaid.  Several tartan stores later we found it, well, a sample of our plaid.  I've ordered a couple of yards and expect to see it soon.  In the meantime, I'll share a few of our favorite sites in Edinburgh.

Statue of Greyfriar's Bobby... you have to Google this, so interesting!
Memorial headstone for above mentioned "Greyfriar's Bobby."
No we didn't take Maggie with us.

The winding streets we were dealing with before we got lost.

Statue of Thomas Hume.  If you rub his right toe it's supped to bring you good luck!  Another Google opportunity!

Ruins of the abbey at Holyrood Castle.  
Breathtakingly beautiful!

I hope you enjoyed this short tour.
Hugz,
Gramma


2 comments:

  1. Hello Gramma,
    I hope you let us see more. I love it!!! Thank you :)
    Hugs
    Tiggerchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy moly! what a fabulous trip! wowza! you look fabulous and hubby is very handsome! wow! i can't wait to see that plaid!

    hugs :)

    ReplyDelete